Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Universalism/Universal Reconciliation
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Universalism/Universal Reconciliation

Universalism/Universal Reconciliation 2 months, 3 weeks ago #5027

Hello! I do have a question about where to find good Universalism and Universal Reconciliation books and websites. I was perusing through the forums on this website before on these issues, but most Universalism discussions were either not very helpful and/or civil. I recently listened to Episodes 43 and 87 of the Rethinking Hell Podcast, with Robin Perry in them, and it really gave me a lot to think about. I have recently changed my view on Hell to Conditionalism within the past couple months, so I am no scholar on the issue yet. I am also a Calvinist myself, but not a hyper Calvinist or anything. Now, I am looking for books and websites that have good Universalism/Universal Reconciliation arguments and discussion points. I would also like to see someone actually deal with Scripture itself, rather than make philisophical argumentation for Universalism, yet empty of Bible passages that actually support what they are arguing for. I also would like to see a Universalist deal with Conditionalist proof texts, as that is something that I would like to figure out. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Universalism/Universal Reconciliation 2 months, 1 week ago #5052

• Msandino
  • Fresh Boarder
The best selection of biblically based Evangelical Universalism I've seen is tentmaker.com.

Dr. Robin Parry is the rock star: he has quite a few videos on Youtube, and a great new book on Amazon which I haven't bought yet.

If you haven't listened several times to each of the presentations at the last few Rethinking Hell conferences, you are missing out. Searchable on YouTube. These conferences are amazing because they are bold enough to present several different viewpoints, including quite a few Universalists, like Dr Robin Parry, and even some orthodox perspectives. Gotta love them for that.

You can get lost on this website:
www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/univart.html

And finally, try reading all of this of JW Hanson's works, starting here:
www.tentmaker.org/books/Prevailing.html

That will keep you busy.

Oh - Don't forget
www.mercyuponall.org/

And feel free to email me at any time: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

It's so wonderful to be freed from the specter of Eternal Conscious Torment! I'd subscribe to Conditionalism, but I still keep finding Biblical evidence for the apokatastatis spoken of by Paul and championed by St Gregory of Nyssa.

I spend most of my free time scouring the Scriptures to see if it is so!

Re: Universalism/Universal Reconciliation 2 months, 1 week ago #5053

• Msandino
  • Fresh Boarder
And one more:

This is a very thoughtful discussion from a Universalist critiquing Conditionalism

www.tentmaker.org/books/EternalDeath.html

Re: Universalism/Universal Reconciliation 4 weeks ago #5114

Great links. Gary Amirault is an amazing teacher. I think what he says on ages / eternity and 1 Corinthians 15:22-28 is very important.

I think when it comes to establish UR as Bible truth, the most important issue concerns the second death in Revelation and the "Pauline Apocalypse" in 1 Corinthians 15:22-28. Are they saying the same or does Paul look further into the future? If God is to be all in all (v. 28), then the second death must be included in the death Paul says will be defeated (v. 26). However "Traditionalist" understanding does not agree and see second death as a big death blow to UR. But although Revelation 21-22 is a scene of victory for God's people there is still need for healing / meditorial reign (Revelation 22:2 / 1 Corithians 15:24) and even earthly kings (Revelation 21:24).
Last Edit: 4 weeks ago by Bjerregaard.

Re: Universalism/Universal Reconciliation 3 weeks, 6 days ago #5115

Thanks for the links guys. After continuous study of Scripture and the links you have provided, I am now fully convinced of UR in the Bible. One thing I find funny is how all of God's judgement's are corrective. Yet, somehow after people die, God suddenly changes character into an eternal tormentor or an annihilator? I still am studying, but now I see all of Scripture, and not just verses isolated from the whole picture. I have especially found Tentmaker helpful, especially some of the thoroughly conducted studies made. Out of curiosity, how long have you guys been convinced of UR?

Re: Universalism/Universal Reconciliation 3 weeks, 6 days ago #5116

• Msandino
  • Fresh Boarder
As for me? Since May 16, 2016.

That moment is as clear in my spirit as the moment I declared Jesus to be my Lord.

That's after trying very hard for 7 years to believe in eternal conscious torment as taught by my beloved foursquare church, since Jesus led me there in 2009. (I'm now on doctrinal probation with them and suspended from serving )

I'm hoping that it's fair to talk about universalism like this on the rethinking hell website -- I have the highest repect for them and do not seek to offend.

Honestly, I'm fulling persuaded that annihliationists and universalists have a strong alliance / relationship in overcoming the highly unscriptural and disrespectful-of-the-Sovereignty-of-God, wicked teachings of ECT.

And hopefully we can have robust and productive conversations about scripture from that perspective.

I have yet to absorb and consider the thoughtful remarks above concerning Pauline apocalypse and that in Revelations! I'm looking forward to a good study on those verses, thank you so much!

Rejoicing in the riches and depth of wisdom and knowledge of God,

Martha
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?