Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Satan's Fate
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Satan's Fate

Satan's Fate 4 months, 3 weeks ago #5209

• chloebess
  • Fresh Boarder
No doubt this has been discussed many times here.

Can someone give me their opinion on the difference between eternal life and immortal life? I believe that eternal life is a gift that is dependent on the only One (God) Who has immortal life (self-sustaining).

With this in mind, then I can see Satan possessing eternal life at the will of God, but that he will be killed by the only one who is immortal.

If this is true, then CI really comes into focus for me because it makes Satan subject to the same Judgment we will all face.....meaning he is just as mortal as we are, even though he is a spirit. Also, the whole "lake of fire" makes more sense because Satan will not survive it either.

Hope this makes sense.

Re: Satan's Fate 4 months, 3 weeks ago #5213

• John Haak
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
I will at least get the ball rolling.
"Immortal" seems it can only apply to God since it literally means "no-death". All other beings are subject to death, including Satan.
I would only say Satan possess "life" and it will end ["death"] as pictured by the Lake of Fire.
He does not have "eternal life" because his life will end.
Those reconciled to God in Christ have eternal life and it will not end.
Satan has had a long existence and maybe that is what you are picturing?

Also I wonder what basis you have to call Satan a "spirit"? I doubt that idea. I think he is a created being and therefore limited to time and space. You may be giving him more credit than he deserves.

Re: Satan's Fate 4 months, 3 weeks ago #5214

• chloebess
  • Fresh Boarder
I guess I see Satan as a spirit but not in same sense as the Holy Spirit, in that he is limited in space and time but not with a body. Not sure i can document where I get that from right now.

Immortality to me must only exist if the immortal being is self-sustaining, therefore it can only be God. Even Jesus died (and that is a tough one for me to understand). And we are only eternal if pardoned by God and sustained by Him (tree of life sort of thing).

Satan's make up and existence seems to be a key for many Christians, since they believe he is a spirit that cannot be killed, that God created him to love forever, as all of the angels. If this thought can be defeated then it puts a damper on the entire "hell thing."

Has anyone you know of put some time in on this subject? I'd like to be able to nail down Satan's being, and be able to prove he will be killed, not just chained somewhere for eternity. Revelation seems to say he will be in the lake of fire forever (which in his case I am uncertain what that means - knowing aion takes on the time of who it refers to) and if Satan was created eternal then he may be in the "lake" forever," and that sort of thing.

Re: Satan's Fate 4 months, 3 weeks ago #5215

• Singalphile
  • Gold Boarder
I've always thought of the devil as a spirit, similar to an angel. I've never heard anyone say that he has a physical body. I don't reckon he does, but that does not imply that he is eternal or immortal or uncreated, to my mind. A spirit being is created and can be destroyed just like anything else, right?

As you all know, only God has/possesses immortality (1 Tim 6:16). As for the difference between eternal life and immortality, I can't see much practical difference. It seems to me that the Greek word for "eternal" does have a qualitative aspect to it (i.e., "of an/the age") along with the apparent "everlasting"-ness.

To my mind, Satan's fate does not need to be the same as man's fate. I don't know if it's a good thing for me to say, but I hope that he is destroyed in the end. The idea of locking him up forever reminds me of something a movie villain would do. You know, the kind where you role your eyes and say, "why not just kill him and get it over with!" (In the movies, the good guy always escapes.) Of course, I know God is all-powerful. Whatever He intends for devils and demons will of course be for the best.
"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.

Re: Satan's Fate 4 months, 3 weeks ago #5217

• John Haak
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
Good Sunday morning Sing ... God enrich your church family later this AM,

Good to read your thoughts on this. I fully get that Bad Guy movie image ... "Why, o why didn't he just kill him?" But I would say that being cast into the lake of fire is a destructive end to all who go in; that is the very purpose of such an image ... nothing survives but rather is consumed. Jesus with demons heard them fear/expect destruction and Satan is their leader and so why not share the same fate?

Satan being "a spirit, similar to an angel" does not have any Scripture base that I can think of. Demon possession is a physical event by all that I read in Scripture. Almost like parasites, they seem required to have a physical place to live; hence the pigs.

It does not effect the truth of the final destruction of the Unreconciled so maybe this is not the place to discuss it? It does remind me of the standard earthly view of Satan being "The Anti-God" with all the powers of God but all-evil instead of all-good. That is an error and gives Satan way too much credit.

I think the binding and imprisonment of Satan [Rev. 20:1-10] is his current status and in no way refers to a future event. There it says the future for Satan is a brief release and then a sure, final destruction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Singalphile

Re: Satan's Fate 4 months, 2 weeks ago #5224

• John Haak
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
Found a reference that might help: Luke 22:3 says Satan entered into Judas.
That may be where the idea of Satan being a "spirit" being gets supported. But notice that this is parallel to demons entering others and they ended up being removed in a fully physical sense [hence the idea that they have a physical being but with an ability to be attached to people].

Related to Final Fate topics here: Note that the Lake of Fire is an image of total destruction of things that have all kinds of "nature" to them ... people, Satan, angels and even the 'Beast' and Death itself [a reality/concept] where not an actual, physical event of "destroying" is happening but a clear ceasing of existing is the point.

So Satan's fate is not existence in a constant fire but a true End; he will be no more. God is truly the smart good guy that leaves no means for a sequel. Imagine the celebration this will bring for us to share in.
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?