Eternal torment never sat right with me
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Eternal torment never sat right with me

Re: Eternal torment never sat right with me 4 months, 3 weeks ago #5216

• Singalphile
  • Gold Boarder
Hi!

I was raised with the idea, and it was always softened as a kind of self-imposed separation from God, so I never had a problem with it. (Perhaps that's a shame on me.)

But I do agree that the eternal torment of man is out of place with the rest of Scripture. To my mind, the lack of any clear statement of ECT in the Old Testament, and the fact that the New Testament has only two or three short sentences that could even possibly fit with the idea, are very strong evidence that God will do no such thing. In this case, absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

On the other hand, the death and destruction of the wicked is found all throughout the OT and NT. Of course, an ignominious, eternal destruction and death - after knowing what could have been (eternal life without sin, sickness, tears) - is itself a very terrifying judgment.
"Singalphile" - Name chosen (hastily) to indicate being on a narrow path, pursuing the love of God. Male, upper-30's, USA.

Re: Eternal torment never sat right with me 4 months, 3 weeks ago #5218

Great points!! I've also heard the softened separation of God teaching. I just knew in my mind and just from knowing God and His Scriptures that they were taking it to an unbiblical place. Being more of a traditional teaching than a Biblical one. And that is never good. Yes,.most people are quite afraid of dying. Especially if they do not know our Lord. It is no small thing to die without Jesus. You miss out on everything!! Thanks for sharing..appreciate it..pretty much confirmed what I'm learning from the CI position. God bless and Happy New Year..because of Him.

Re: Eternal torment never sat right with me 4 months ago #5236

I am in the process of reading "Erasing Hell" and just finished the chapter discussing the debate about EVERLASTING punishment vs. annihilation. My first question was, "Can the soul be destroyed?" If it can't then everlasting punishment would be necessary. Matthew 10:28 seems to answer this question, "Be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Second, I considered why Adam and Eve had to leave the garden - so that after they ate of the tree of knowledge they didn't eat of the tree of life and doom themselves to living eternally in an unforgiven state. So, I don't think life eternal is guaranteed to any human. Finally, I have to consider the nature of God. HE forgives. While he will not remove the consequences of our actions, he will love us through them. To me, not letting us live eternally without Him is the most loving action He could take. Perhaps that is too simplistic. I will have to continue my studies. And, ultimately, our primary responsibility as a Christian is to spread the love of God in hopes that as many as possible choose Jesus and avoid hell.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Featured audio: Dr. Al Mohler & Chris Date debate
"Should Christians rethink Hell?" on Unbelievable?